Friday, December 03, 2004

Spider-Man 2

I am currently amazing myself with my amazing Spider-Man 2 DVD. The film is easily superior to the first; is not only better technically (including top-notch special effects this time 'round), but artistically and morally. "And Lord knows, kids like Henry need a hero. Courageous, self-sacrificing people. Setting examples for all of us... I believe there's a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams." Amen. Alfred Molina's performance is one of the best, if not The Best, I've seen out of this genre--frightening, but also sensitive, seductive and heartbreaking. A good Danny Elfman score and fine, sometimes laugh-out-loud sense of humor also help keep things moving. This may be the most genuinely entertaining film I've seen this year.

No comments: