Monday, November 01, 2004

A New Ghoul Rises

To this comment of mine I want to add Christopher Hitchens' observation that humanity has a bigger enemy nowadays. One argument went out the window with the old ghoul's reappearance for Halloween; still, the article builds on much more important observations, and remains worth reading.

Update: James Lileks: No one showed up as bin Laden; perhaps it’s not because he’s scary any more. I’ll admit, I thought he was dead, and I am on record in print and on the radio as having said so. Let the record show I was wrong, and by all means keep that in mind the next time I speak with confidence and assurance. That said, he might as well be dead for all it seemed to spook anyone. I hate to say more about it lest something happen in the next few days, but for Binny to jack-in-the-box now, rather than appearing after his next Brilliant Mastermind Strike, seems to suggest he has nothing in the tank and less in the trunk.

No comments: