Saturday, October 09, 2004

The Debates, Part II

It seems President Bush did better in last night's debate than he did in the first debacle. Big deal. I am still waiting for Senator Kerry to improve. This time, Kerry did not seem aware that he and the rest of the Senate unanimously rejected Kyoto, so Bush couldn't have signed it into law even if he wanted to (and I am now convinced that Kyoto is a quick-fix gesture rather than a workable solution). Taking a line from Michael Moore, Kerry spoke about parents sending their children to war, apparently unaware that America's volunteer armed forces are for people over 18. The senator did outmatch Bush's awful "It's hard work" refrain with "I have a plan," but I prefer elaboration beyond simply uttering that phrase or, at best, sharing the sort of ideas one assembles in preparation for creating a plan. This, on top of their better-publicized nonsense.

A candidate with John Edward's looks, Dick Chaney's experience, George Bush's optimism, and John Kerry's international cred would be a start. I want that, or a higher-end model, in stock by 2008.


If we sacrifice looks, how about John McCain vs. Dick Gephardt? I prefer Joe Lieberman as a Democratic contender, but he has the dangerous flaw of being a censor, and his effect on the Middle East Peace Process™ could be 'interesting.' I am open to suggestions.

No comments: